Submissions/creating free audio to Wikimedia projects
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Creating free audio for Wikimedia projects
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The great advantage of wikimedia projects prior to paper encyclopaedias is an ability to upload media. The goal of my presentation is to show perspectives in use of free audio for music education purposes. As far as it is impossible to explain the characteristics of paintings without showing the picture itself, it is also impossible to imagine how do the music sounds if not hearing for this music.
There are just two aspects of the problem. The first one is about free content. Of course we couldn't upload to wikimedia projects copyrighted music so we could talk mostly about music of the past centuries or about music by authors who gave us permission for its usage. In a first case I propose to discuss such ability as giving grants for recording music of past epoch for wikimedia purposes. (Here I suppose to make a review of content which exists and not exists yet)
The second one is a technique aspect. Sometimes it seems to be useful to upload file not as a whole piece but its most significant fragments. (Here I suppose to show some examples who to choose most significant fragments).
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).