Submissions/Wikipedia as an alternative to traditional civic activism
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Editing Wikipedia as an alternative to traditional civic activism
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Jerzy Celichowski
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Open Society Institute
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Editing wikipedia is an act of a selfless contribution to your community. The entry threshhold is very low as it does not require registration, joining an organisation or physical contact with the wikipedia editors/community. I will argue that editing of wikipedia is a form of civic activity. In the presentation I will compare activity on wikipedia (number of articles/number of speakers of given language online) to indicators of civic activism measured in a traditional way based on membership in NGOs, etc. In the presentation I will focus on data from Eastern Europe. My working hypothesis is that the levels of activism indicated by wikipedia indicators is higher than in the case of traditionally measured activism.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted? yes
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).