Submissions/Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects as a Learning Aid in Secondary Education (with an example from Slovenia)
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects as a Learning Aid in Secondary Education (with an example from Slovenia)
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
I should like to thank my partner Dejan Papež for all his help and advice, and to my professor Danijela Trškan for all the information about didactics of history and about the Erasmus student exchange in Poland.
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
The presentation would begin with an example from a Slovenian secondary school.
- The teacher creates four groups of students who work at home and use Wikipedia to prepare a poster and present their work at the next history class in the school.
- The topics for home work using Wikipedia would be the following:
- Polish question / Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and its consequences for Poland
- Invasion of Poland / Polish Campaign / Fall Weiß
- Polish resistance – Warsaw Uprising, the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
- The conferences for after-war time: Tehran and Yalta and their consequences for Poland
- Each student group has 8 minutes available for the presentation of the subject.
The example is followed by a discussion regarding the following questions / subjects:
- Positive influence of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects on the secondary-level youth (adolescents)
- Using Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in the native and in foreign languages as a learning aid – interdisciplinary aspect of the home and school learning (also for teachers)
- Secondary socialization of the youth through Wikimedia projects: collaborative work, team-building and relationship-building: the opportunity to communicate with the history experts from all over the world – a contributing factor to the good international relations (for “small” people)
- Using Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects and contributing in secondary schools – “How to?” – not only using Wikimedia as a source of knowledge, but also sharing your knowledge and helping the project through small edits (enlargement of the Wikimedia editor base).
- The introduction of the history to the youth through the usage of the web, in particular Wikimedia projects, and through the usage of the actual news (what the youth likes to).
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
There are some examples of good practice of reusing and creating the contents of Wikimedia projects in Slovenian schools already: Wikipedija:Slovenska mladinska književnost, Wikivir:Slovenska leposlovna klasika, and Wikipedija:WikiProjekt Slovenski literarni zgodovinarji.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).