Submissions/Wikievolution: on Growth of Complexity and Diversity of Wikimedia Projects
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Wikievolution: on Growth of Complexity and Diversity of Wikimedia Projects.
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
presentation + panel (if only possible)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
przykuta (@t) o2 <dot> pl
sandbox (@t) o2 <dot> pl
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Constant growth of Wikiprojects leads to their increasing complexity, emergence of own cultures and development of further tools of their self-management. However, the paths of evolution may vary significantly and the researchers would like to highlight a few notable examples and discuss these differences with the members of global community. Or maybe "communities" suits better?
Let us take a look at:
- pillars, role models and visions of the project in different wikicommunities
- philosophies of power and self-governance
- methods of deciding on projects and.. truth in articles
How different and self-focused are we? What happened to Meta, what are the tentions and is the global co-operation really possible? How are we affected by local cultures, languages - but also by local wikiinstitutions and wikileaders? Are we able to construct universal mechanisms or global NPOV? Are we even eager to co-operate? The more complex the projects are, the more focus on internal matters is put - so what is the flow of ideas among wikiprojects? What should we do to avoid a fate of constructors of Babel?
We believe that truly satisfactory answers require input from various communities and a Wikimania event may help in the further co-operation.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
People and Community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).