Submissions/WikiCause-Proposal for a Wikimedia Sister Project for Creating a Social Platform for promoting Internet Activism
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- WikiCause-Proposal for a Wikimedia Sister Project for Creating a Social Platform for promoting Internet Activism
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Vineeth Sandadi
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Birla Institute of Technology & Sciences, Pilani
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In the past decade, Internet in general & Social media websites such Twitter in particular have had an ever growing utility among Activist Groups & Citizen movements worldwide as a means for ensuring that the requisite Information trickles down to the grassroots which would have otherwise not been possible without a distribution media as ubiquitous as the internet is today. WikiCause as a social platform is primarily intended to connect Individuals as well as Organizations having ideas with the potential to create a positive impact to a wider audience willing to adopt & help implement these ideas.It could also serve as a platform for promoting & recording discussions on a wide range of topics. This exchange of ideas could perhaps play a very important role in developing strategies for dealing with a range of important issues which otherwise would never be solved if left to the policy makers in the governments to decide on. A very important issue which could potentially benefit from a project like WikiCause is Global Warming & Climate Change. WikiCause could also serve as a platform for citizens to air their opinions regarding a government`s functioning especially in countries where people`s rights to express their views on issues considered sensitive by the respective governments are severely curtailed. The popularity of Twitter as a means for communicating with the outside world during the recent crackdown by the Iranian Government against the Anti-Government protesters clearly illustrates the importance of Social Media platforms in today`s world.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted? No
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.
- Mayooranathan 21:03, 21 May 2010 (UTC)