Submissions/Polish and New York open education alliances: the future model for broader cooperation?
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Polish and New York open education alliances: the future model for broader cooperation?
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Tomasz Ganicz & Pharos
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
Poland and USA.
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Wikimedia Polska and Wikimedia NYC
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Polish Coalition for Open Education and Free Culture Aliance NYC are a semi-formal agreements of non-governmental organizations and institutions working in the field of education, science and culture. The goal is to build its operation, promotion and activism on behalf of open educational resources. OER are understood as materials available in an open way which guarantees their recipients the freedom to use, redistribute and remix the content.
The Coalition and the Aliance are groups of organizations responsible for shaping and promoting open education in their areas of activity. They organize various events, and helps to tighten the links and coordination between organizations and projects producing open educational content. Worth mentioned here is that the Polish Coalition is very active also on governmental level where various actions pushing governmental bodies to support educational open content projects have been done. Open Education Coalition was initiated in 2008 by Wikimedia Polska, Foundation "Modern Poland", Creative Commons Poland and Polish Librarian Association. Free Culture Aliance NYC was initated by Wikimedia NYC in 2010 and consists of 15 member organizations.
We want to present our current achievements, the current status of open education in Poland and NYC, and give an advice how to organize similar coalitions in other countries where there is low formal support for oppenness as well as discuss possible international cooperation.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- El Ágora 04:47, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Galway88 18:50, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- Psychology 22:22, 29 May 2010 (UTC)
- Rekrutacja 18:21, 30 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 13:00, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- Yarl 21:04, 16 June 2010 (UTC)
- cienkamila 13:28, 27 June 2010 (UTC)
- --A1 09:34, 28 June 2010 (UTC)
- Castelobranco 09:56, 8 July 2010 (UTC)