Submissions/Conflicts between chapters and communities
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Conflicts between local Wikimedia chapters and their respective editor communities
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Panel or presentation - depends if I find people to share the panel with me.
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Hebrew Wikipedia, Wikimedia Israel
- Personal homepage or blog
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
- This panel will let you understand the conflicts between your local chapter and your editor community, or avoid them if you're planning to start a chapter.
- Experience has shown that -- contrary to expectations -- local Wikimedia chapters sometimes form a tense and conflictual relationship with the respective local communities of editors. Often there is a lot of distrust between the two parties. By using the example of Wikimedia Israel and the editor community of the Hebrew Wikipedia, and based on information to be collected from Wikimedia Deutschland and other chapters, I will explore the reasons behind these tensions and suggest explanations. I will then elaborate on ways to avoid such tensions in new chapters or improve the situation in existing chapters. I will be very glad to turn this into a panel with people from other chapters. If someone wants to collaborate on this, please let me know!
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- People and community
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- I will attend Wikimania (for sure).
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides can be found here!
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Meeso 22:24, 2 May 2010 (UTC)
- Lucien leGrey 07:29, 6 May 2010 (UTC)
- Nevinho 16:02, 7 May 2010 (UTC)
I suggest among the matters you'll be addressing you include conflicts between chapters and whole community not only wikimedia projects editors based on the quite same reasons: authority hierarchies in some countries are known to create distrust and dissipate the motivation of volunteers.
- Phoebe 15:40, 8 May 2010 (UTC)
- Davidevanharris 17:33, 8 May 2010 (UTC)
- Dakinijones 11:29, 9 May 2010 (UTC)
- --MotherForker 23:29, 9 May 2010 (UTC) I am from Argentine Chapter, and I certainly share Nevinho's suggestion.
- VasilievVV 08:57, 10 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Church of emacs 09:15, 10 May 2010 (UTC)
- Sky Harbor 02:15, 14 May 2010 (UTC)
- Shijualex- I definitely want to share my thoughts on the same.
- Polimerek 12:17, 17 May 2010 (UTC)
- guillom 21:20, 17 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Ravidreams 18:53, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
- El Ágora 05:11, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Victoria 16:48, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Bishdatta 07:40, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- --DR 07:17, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- Ijon 11:23, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- Aphaia 17:40, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Elya 19:00, 27 May 2010 (UTC)
- --80686 15:00, 28 May 2010 (UTC) (WMCH and WMDE)
- Kocio 10:52, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- -- Yuyu 15:23, 10 June 2010 (UTC)
- Laaknor 07:56, 16 June 2010 (UTC)
- Karol007 21:19, 16 June 2010 (UTC)
- --Ivanmartinez 22:14, 21 June 2010 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni 06:39, 22 June 2010 (UTC)
- Viatoro 20:22, 24 June 2010 (UTC)
- Gustavocarra 08:46, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Natbrown 13:08, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Zack 03:18, 2 July 2010 (UTC)
- Perohanych 18:33, 4 July 2010 (UTC)
- CristianCantoro 16:01, 8 July 2010 (UTC)