Submissions/Community P2P/CDN for WIkipedia video delivery
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Community P2P/CDN for Wikipedia video delivery (merged into Joint Video Workshop)
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
Arno Bakker, Michael Dale, Jan Gerber, Victor Grishchenko, Riccardo Petrocco, Johan Pouwelse, Diego Rabaioli
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
Arno Bakker <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Country of origin
Netherlands, US, Germany
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Delft University of Technology, Wikimedia Foundation Inc., Kaltura
- Personal homepage or blog
- 30-word contribution & benefits statement
- Proposed time frame (1h or 2h or 4h)
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia wants to enable users to add video and audio on their Wiki pages. The technical downside is that its bandwidth requirements will increase manifold. How to handle this bandwidth surge? Commercial CDNs are one option, but they have downsides, including the relatively high costs (esp. considering Wikipedia's volumes), the relatively restrictive terms in regard to fair-use and take-downs, content filtering, and user privacy. There is also the question of institutional independence. We therefore started exploring the idea of using peer-to-peer distribution or a community-run CDN for Wikipedia video.
In particular, we explored the BitTorrent-based peer-to-peer video technology from P2P-Next (a European research project). This open technology is very flexible with respect to how it provides bandwidth (from the users viewing in their browsers to normal HTTP-based hosting). Over the past months Delft University of Technology and Wikimedia have been cooperating to easily integrate P2P-Next into MediaWiki. In this workshop we would like to present how P2P-Next could be used for hosting Wikipedia's A/V content. In addition, we would like to have a discussion on using peer-to-peer / building a community-run CDN.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Most of us: yes
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).