Submissions/Beyond the Encyclopedia: The Frontiers of Free Knowledge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Beyond the Encyclopedia: The Frontiers of Free Knowledge
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Erik Moeller
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- erik at wikimedia dot org
- Country of residence
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Userpage on Meta
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In 2005, Jimmy Wales presented "10 Challenges for the Free Culture Movement" at Wikimania, also knows as "10 things that will be free". The challenges he chose: the encyclopedia, the dictionary, the curriculum, music, art, file formats, maps, product identifiers, TV listings, and online communities. This year, the list has been expanded and updated on StrategyWiki: List of things that need to be free.
- Taking off on the idea of unsolved problems in free culture, my presentation will showcase some of the most promising projects at the frontier of the free knowledge movement: projects like OpenStreetMap, Thingiverse, OpenWetWare, Semantic MediaWiki, and WikiEducator. I will explore the current state of Wikipedia's sister projects, and discuss the opportunities and challenges for innovation inside the Wikimedia movement.
- The presentation will conclude with specific recommendations for a framework of technology and policy that supports bottom-up innovation, while killing off ideas that don't work. These recommendations are inspired by other companies, organizations and movements, with focus on the open source community.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- If you have suggestions for projects or challenges you'd like me to talk about, please e-mail me or leave a comment on the talk page. :-)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).