This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
AskTheWiki - A User Interface for Structured Questions and Answers
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikis are collaborative knowledge bases and as such a valuable asset. However, they can unfold their full potential only, if the stored knowledge is accessible in an efficient manner. Thus, searching and finding information play a crucial role. Most users on the web are used to express their questions in keywords and expect a list of links as results. However, it is desirable to pose more complex questions to a knowledge base, e.g. "Which countries are located in Europe and how many inhabitants have those countries?". In this presentation, I will present AskTheWiki, a system which allows to pose such questions to a semantic MediaWiki while keeping simple keywords as the input-interface to the user. Since these keyword questions are internally transformed into formal, structured queries, the problem arises on how to present understandable representations of these queries to the user, and the following answers respectively. A user interface giving such feedback and a usability study will be presented. Furthermore, the future plans will be put up for discussion, since the release of this extension planned for autumn this year.
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).