Submissions/From free information to free life
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
Using wikis for sharing in real life
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Country of origin
Netherlands, currently living in Brussels
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Independent free software consultant
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikis have proven to be an excellent way for sharing information, a big step towards a world of free information and free communication (both as in free speech as well as in free beer). It's even more interesting when people share goods and services in real life. In affluent societies there is a huge surplus of resources. Most car seats are empty and tons of food perfect for human consumption are turned into trash every day. On the other hand many people are isolated and longing for real social connections (Facebook is not the answer).
Hitchwiki, Trashwiki and Sharewiki are three wikis that I've co-founded. On Hitchwiki hitchhikers are working on a guide on how to occupy empty car seats across the globe while creating (mostly) random real life social connections. Trashwiki is a place where people share information on where to find trash and on how to turn it into treasures. Sharewiki is a wiki about sharing in the broadest sense, there's information about existing projects and room for brainstorming about new projects.
There are also a couple of (mainly) non-wiki websites that help people to share in real life, such as BookCrossing for books and BeWelcome and CouchSurfing for hospitality exchange. Groundcrew is a new project to enable ad-hoc mobile coordination in the form of a game.
I want to give an overview of these projects, how they are organized and how they allow people to live their life more adventurously.
(inspiration: Moving from free software to free life)
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- El Ágora 05:19, 19 May 2010 (UTC)
- Incnis Mrsi (probably, not certainly) 12:52, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 00:27, 4 June 2010 (UTC)
- --Phauly 09:58, 16 June 2010 (UTC)