Submissions/Five years of structured wiki data with SMW: experiences and directions
This is an open submission for Wikimania 2010.
- Title of the submission
- Five Years of Structured Wiki Data with SMW: Experiences and Directions
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, panel, presentation)
- presentation (20 – 30min)
- Author of the submission
- Markus Krötzsch
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (User:Markus Krötzsch)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (please use no less than 300 words to describe your proposal)
Five years after its initial presentation at Wikimania 2005, SMW (a.k.a. Semantic MediaWiki) is a widely used MediaWiki extension for managing data like numbers, times, or locations in a wiki. There are just two main things that SMW really does: to allow users to attach such data to wiki pages, and to provide some means for retrieving this data in search and browsing. Many other features, ranging from interactive maps to video editing, are offered by extensions that build on SMW.
While this situation is pretty simple, there is also a lot of persistent confusion about when and where to use SMW and what to expect from it, some of which arguably is due to the over-mystified S word in the name. This talk thus gives a simple introduction to SMW, and presents some lessons learnt about using it effectively in practice (and avoiding common pitfalls). There will also be an outlook on the future of SMW.
As the talk can be a useful basis for other SMW-related presentations at the conference, it might be good to schedule it rather earlier than later, and to not run it in parallel with SMW-related stuff (like last year ;-).
- Track (People and Community/Knowledge and Collaboration/Infrastructure)
- Knowledge and Collaboration
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
You can find my talk slides online.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Jpatokal 10:45, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- guillom 17:54, 20 May 2010 (UTC)
- Eloquence 02:21, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Incnis Mrsi (probably, not certainly) 12:50, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jodi.a.schneider 13:11, 21 May 2010 (UTC)
- Multichill 12:41, 24 May 2010 (UTC)
- Jeroen De Dauw 11:27, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- Ijon 11:35, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- --Friedel Völker 15:24, 28 May 2010 (UTC)
- Siebrand 10:47, 30 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kocio 11:37, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
- Jérôme 14:31, 15 June 2010 (UTC)
- Zack 03:22, 2 July 2010 (UTC)